Could missing child support payments jeopardize your passport?

On Behalf of | Apr 3, 2023 | Child And Spousal Support

It is crucial to recognize the wide variety of challenges that you could face if you miss child support payments, from license suspension to the threat of time behind bars. In addition, you should look into the possibility of passport denial or revocation and understand how this works.

Losing your passport could create serious hurdles in your personal and professional life. For example, without a passport, you could lose the ability to take part in a family event overseas, such as a wedding, or go on an important business trip abroad.

Back child support can lead to passport denial

The U.S. Department of State says that if you owe more than $2,500 in back child support, you lose your eligibility to obtain a U.S. passport. If you currently owe arrears exceeding this amount, the Department advises you to pay back child support to the agency in your state prior to submitting a passport application.

Addressing back child support to restore passport privileges

If you submitted a passport application before realizing this, you need to take steps to address back support in order to have your application processed normally. After making payment arrangements with your state’s child support enforcement agency, that agency will inform the Department of Health and Human Services that you have made suitable arrangements. Next, HHS will take your name off of their list and inform the Department of State, which will process your application.

You should note that this process can take a few weeks, which highlights the importance of paying arrears promptly. Whether you want to modify your child support order to ensure that you stay current or understand your options after falling behind, it is vital to address child support issues swiftly and correctly.

RSS Feed

FindLaw Network